Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday, Jube 10

Very productive day today. I finished debugging my compressors (there were a few, including one pretty hefty one that I managed to pound out) and implemented the optimal compression. It compresses the bitmap using a segment length of 7, 14, and 28 and picks the length that resulted in the shortest file size. It does this by storing the shortest bitmap in a buffer (the filename is the same path but storing it in a column number that doesn't exist) and then simply renaming the compressed file the appropriate name. It all works perfectly on all of the small files but complains at various points of the larger files, I think because of a lack of memory, so I think I have a memory leak somewhere that I will look into, but I'm not terribly concerned. I will be moving on to querying next week!

I also briefly talked to David to to check in. Not very eventful but I did confirm with him that after implementing the query engine, I should extend the implementation I have to support VAL64, not just my current VAL32 implementation. That shouldn't be terribly difficult as all of my current utilities are very adaptable depending on segment length. It's more just a matter of variable and type declarations throughout the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment