Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Tuesday, June 7

Sorry for not checking in yesterday. Time got the best of me.

Big day today! It looks like my VAL compressor is working! I've only been running it with a segment length of 7 to be consistent but it should be working with 14 and 28 bit segments as well. There's one little issue with the padding on the last word that I want to look into but otherwise it seems to be functioning very well! The only thing to do with it really it to implement the optimal segment length compressor. That basically involves running the 7, 14, and 28-bit compressors and then selecting the smallest compressed column. Then, the entire compressed bitmap will have compressed columns with different segment lengths. It will be interesting to see the distribution of segment lengths within each bitmap and find out which length is chosen more often.

The rest of the week I want to dedicate not only to finishing up these last few things but also to running tests with the compressor to make sure it is working EXACTLY like it should. The last thing I want is for a random bit to make it's way somewhere in the compressed columns...

No comments:

Post a Comment